Create a Free Text Field Attribute
This type of attribute allows you to type whatever you like in the text field, rather than choose from a list of options.
1) Click on the Administration icon from the navigation menu, then select Attribute Definitions option in the Attributes section.
2) Press the '+ New' button.
3) Enter the Name of the attribute.
4) Leave the Value Set field empty.
Note: Any time you do not use a value set, the attribute will be free text.
5) Check the Is Mandatory box if the user desires that it be a requirement to set a value for this attribute.
6) The Is Fixed setting is used to indicate whether the created attribute is to be used once; if different values are entered for the same attribute, leave this check box unchecked.
7) In the Applies To menu, select the appropriate entity to which this new attribute will apply.
8) When finished, press the Save button.
9) Then go to the entity for which the attribute was created (such as an employee) and enter a free text value for the created attribute.
10) When finished press the Save button.
11) To edit the value, simply delete the previous text and type in the new one. Save when finished.